IDS 575 Statistical Models and Methods for Business Analytics
Edition: Spring 2019
Document version: Oct 22 2018
The goal of this class is to cover the foundations of modern statistics and machine learning complementing the data mining focus of IDS 572. In other words, the objective of the class is to bring students up to speed with the requisite background as well as expose them to the key theoretical underpinnings of modern analytics. We will do so through the lens of statistical machine learning.
- Lectures: Mondays 6.00 PM to 8.30 PM at TBD
- Optional Recitations: Mondays TBD at TBD
- Offline communication:
- Instructor Office Hours: Wednesdays 3.00 PM to 4.30 PM
- TA Office Hours: TBD
Textbook and Materials
- 01/14 : Supervised Learning: Linear Models and Least Squares, k-Nearest Neighbor Methods
- 01/28 : Towards Regression: Statistical Decision Theory, Curse of Dimensionality, Linear Regression, Categorical Variables, Interaction Terms
- 02/04 : Regression I: Bias-variance Trade-off, Subset Selection, Cross-Validation
- 02/11 : Regression II: Ridge Regression, LASSO (Least Absolute Shrinkage and Selection Operator)
- 02/18 : Classification: Linear Discriminant Analysis, Logistic Regression, Model Assessment and Selection: AIC, BIC and Validation
- 02/25 : The Bootstrap, Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Review of Linear Models
- 03/11 : Expectation Maximization and Sampling (Markov Chain Monte Carlo)
- 03/18 : Tree Methods, Adaboost and Gradient Boosting
- 04/01 : Random Forests, Multivariate Adaptive Regression Splines and Support Vector Machines
- 04/08 : Kernel Trick, Introduction to Unsupervised Learning, Association Rules
- 04/15 : Unsupervised Learning: Clustering, Principal Component Analysis and Spectral Clustering
- 04/22 : Time Series and Supervised Learning, The ARMA Model
- 04/29 : Review of Non-linear Models and Unsupervised Learning
- 01/28: Assignment 1 out. Due on 02/10
- 02/11: Assignment 2 out. Due on 02/24
- 02/25: Assignment 3 out. Due on 03/17
- 04/01: Assignment 4 out. Due on 04/14
- 04/15: Assignment 5 out. Due on 04/28
- 03/04: Exam I (same venue as lectures, and during class hours)
- 05/06: Exam II (same venue as lectures, and during class hours)
Note: Submission deadline for assignments is BEFORE 11.59 PM on the concerned day. Use Blackboard for uploads.
- Assignments (5): 8% + 8% + 8% + 8% + 8%
- Exams (2): 25% (Exam I) + 35% (Exam II)
- These involve reimplementing recent ML techniques and understanding their behavior on medium/large datasets.
- Always mention sources in your assignment solutions.
- Late submissions will have an automatic 20% penalty per day.
- These are closed book, but one 8.5x11-inch handwritten cheatsheet is allowed.
- No computers and communication devices are allowed.
- This is a 4 credit graduate level course offered by the Information and Decision Sciences department at UIC.
- Please see the academic calendar for the semester timeline.
- Students who wish to observe their religious holidays (http://oae.uic.edu/religious-calendar/) should notify the instructor within one week of the first lecture date.
- Please contact the instructor at the earliest, if you require accommodations for access to and/or participation in this course.
- Please refer to the academic integrity guidelines set by the university.